1. Locate your chosen sample site – you can use the GPS mapping feature on the app to do this if you’ve recorded the sample locations previously.
2. Dig down to 20 cm, to make a hole of approx 20 x 20 x 20cm.
3. Place the dug up soil on the plastic bag
4. Break down the soil with your hands, keep any earthworms you find on the bag. Put all broken down soil back in the hole.
5. Count the number of earthworms and record in the app.
6. You can stop there and press ‘save’ in the app…Or…
7. You can next separate the earthworms into adults and juveniles, putting the juveniles back in the hole.
8. Count the number of leaf-litter, top-soil and deep earthworms and record the number of each type in the ‘notes’ section below where you entered the total number of worms, and ‘save’.
9. Put all earthworms back in the hole.
Read this article to find out how many times to count earthworms in each field.