1. Locate your chosen sample site – you can use the GPS mapping feature on the app to do this if you’ve recorded the sample locations previously.
2. Dig out a small section of soil, no wider than your spade or do with other spade tests (20cm x 20cm).
3. Gently break or wash away soil from roots of legumes.
4. Observe if there are any nodules on the roots. If so, select four of the largest nodules to cut to check the colour.
5. Record a score on the scale above in the Soilmentor app.
Watch the video below to see the nodulation of legumes method in action!