1. Locate your chosen sample site – you can use the GPS mapping feature on the app to do this if you’ve recorded the sample locations previously.
2. Dig out a small section of soil, no wider than your spade. Or combine with other spade tests (20cm x 20cm).
3. Break soil away from roots lightly and shake gently so any loose soil falls away.
4. Observe if there is any light soil that seems to be attached around the roots.
5. Record a score of 0-2 in Soilmentor for the amount of roots with rhizosheaths observed and take a photo in the app.