Soil health indicator: depth soil probe can be inserted in cm
A simple way to assess soil compaction and depth of top soil (a DIY penetrometer). Soils become more open/easier to penetrate as health improves. Lower compaction (tightness) is associated with well structured soil, as soil structure in the long term is a product of biological activity. Where lots of stones are present this method is less effective.
- Soil Probe or Soil Sampler
- Ruler/tape measure
- Locate your chosen sample site – you can use the GPS mapping feature on the app to do this if you’ve recorded the sample locations previously.
- Insert probe/sampler to full depth, with a standard amount of force (typically full body weight).
- Withdraw probe from soil, while marking the insertion depth.
- Hold tape or ruler against your mark and record value in the app.
- Take a photo using app
What to record in the Soilmentor app:
- Depth of soil probe in cm.