How to do the test
Soil organic carbon % testing
1. Collect a 30cm soil core at your sample location.
2. Repeat the collection of a 30cm depth soil core at up to 20 sample sites to take into account the variability of your soils – you can do this along a transect from your sample site. These cores can be mixed into one sample to send for analysis.
3. Send your soil samples for analysis, letting the lab know that the cores were taken at a 30cm depth.
Bulk density testing
1. Collect a soil core up to 30cm at your sample location. N.B. Once the corer is inserted to 30cm, the core you collect may have condensed to be less than 30cm, but do not try and go deeper. The condensed soil is part of the individual bulk density reading.
2. Send your soil samples for analysis, letting the lab know that the cores were taken at a 30cm depth.